Spartan Caregiver Support is a free service for caregivers of people with autism in the State of Michigan. We help caregivers address social or behavioral challenges common with autism through phone or video-chat technology.
Announcing a Free Summer Seminar Series
We will be offering a free summer seminar series to caregivers of people with autism. Click here to learn more about the seminar series!
Who We Are
Spartan Caregiver Support is directed by Dr. Matt Brodhead, Assistant Professor at Michigan State University. All members of Spartan Caregiver Support hold a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) credential and have extensive experience improving the lives of people with autism. You can learn more about our Team here.
How it Works
All meetings are provided free of charge.
During your first meeting, we will ask you a few questions so we can get to know you and the person with autism you care for. Then, we will work to understand the challenges you are currently facing. Then, we will work collaboratively to generate ideas for effective ways you can support your loved-one at home. It is our intention that any recommendations we provide are feasible for you to use and try!
To access a free meeting, sign up for our e-mail list below. Every Thursday at 8:00pm EST, we will e-mail you with instructions for how to sign up for a free 20-30 minute meeting (via phone or video chat) with a member of Spartan Caregiver Support the following week. Meetings will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
What We Do and Do Not Provide
We provide support to caregivers of people with an autism diagnosis (educational or medical) within the State of Michigan. This support is provided via phone, video chat, or other electronic media.
We provide support in the following areas:
- Behavioral concerns, such as tantrums and meltdowns
- Communication difficulties, such as difficulty expressing wants and needs
- Daily schedules and routines, such as completing a list of chores and brushing one’s teeth
- Sleep concerns, if those concerns have a behavioral (and not a medical) cause
- Getting along with family members, such as siblings and cousins
- Following rules and expectations, such as following a caregiver’s instructions
At this time, we cannot provide support for:
- Any areas other than what is listed directly above
- Respite care, on-site consultation, or medical, academic, and diagnostic support
- Caregivers of people without an autism diagnosis
- Caregivers who reside outside of the State of Michigan.
We do not provide crisis support or support for any behaviors that may be a threat to you or others. If this is an emergency or you believe you or someone you know is in danger, please dial 9-1-1.
By signing up, you are under no obligation to connect with a member of Spartan Caregiver Support, and you can unsubscribe from our e-mails at any time without any penalty to you.